The 3rd trimester is an exciting time. In a few short weeks your little will be born! It is a time mixed emotions from tiredness to excitement. During the 3rd trimester, the fetus continues to grow in size and weight, it”s lungs are still maturing. The fetus starts to position itself head-down. You may have a hard time taking deep breaths or getting comfortable at night for sleep, or you may not have any discomfort at all! It all depends on each individual. This is a good time to start taking childbirth classes to get ready for the big day; especially if this is your first pregnancy.
Fetal development during the third trimester includes:
• The fetus can hear
• The brain continues to develop
• The kidneys and lungs continue to mature
• By the 35- 36th week, the head may “engage” (drop into the pelvic area). Known as “lightening”
• The bones of the skull remain soft to make it easier to pass through the birth canal.
Changes and symptoms that you may have during the third trimester:
• Increase in skin temperature as the fetus radiates body heat, causing you to feel hot
• The need to urinate more often because of increased pressure on the bladder
• Swelling of the ankles, hands, and face (edema) as you keep retaining fluids.
• Leg cramps may happen more often
• False labor (Braxton-Hicks contractions) may start at irregular intervals in preparation for childbirth
• Stretch marks may appear on the stomach, breast, thighs, and buttocks
Checklist for This Trimester
#Sign up for childbirth classes. This will help you get ready for the big day, especially if this is your first baby
#Prepare a birth plan. If you need help feel free to us. We are happy to guide in preparing your birth plan
#Choose a paediatrician ( discuss this with your obstetrician)
# It is time to stock up on baby gear like diapers and wipes, clothes, and nursery essentials for your baby’s arrival…have fun shopping!
#Sign up for postnatal care or breastfeeding coaching
The final weeks of pregnancy can be tiring, but it is also exhilarating. Watch out for the next installment, better yet sign-up for Lizzie’s tips and receive the latest news directly to you.